Re: Brake Question

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 20:54:10 EDT

My experience with a 4x4 and the stock brakes is similar. The first
time, they wore out completely in about 30K miles - needed new rotors
too. I caught with only one wrecked rotor the second time at 45K, but
switched to NAPA lifetime pads. Little if any difference in rotor
wear, but the NAPA pads have only needed replacement once, and I now
have 110 000 miles on the truck. Much more reasonable, to my way of
thinking!

The Dakota is a pretty heavy vehicle, and the brakes are reasonably
effective, but Chrysler is evidently out to make money on brake jobs
due to rotor replacements. Not only due to the pad wear, but the
horrible warpage the factory rotors get.

BTW - rear shoes are just now about due for replacement (tow pkg).

Jim
The hyper-violent and the ordinary societies in America are distinguished
not by their attitudes towards guns, but by their attitudes toward murder.

- Frank Silbermann