Re: Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 14:03:44 EDT

At 11:11 PM 6/10/97 -0400, Sean Meldrum wrote:
>At 09:08 AM 6/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
[...]
>> Couldn't the intake to the roots be re-routed somehow to blow the
>>air into the same place that the centrifugal would? Or does a roots
>>run off the camshaft or something, as opposed to the belt? (Or is my
>>lack of supercharger knowledge showing through again?) ;)
>
> I don't *think* so. A roots blower installs, with its base, in place of
>your intake manifold. I've seen some dual roots setups with 2 of 'em
>tilted on there sides but never a "remote" mounting. They're belt driven
>like the centrifugal types.

   Hmmm... Well, here I go showing my limited knowledge again, but... :)

  My understanding is that a supercharger's basic function is to cram
air into the engine which somehow speeds up combustion, which gives more
power. (More oxygen molecules per volume?) (Insert "Arrh, arrh, arrh"
here.)
;)

   Couldn't a bracket be manufactured which would sit on top of the engine
and "suspend" the roots over it? Then, a hose (or hoses) could be attached
to the roots and directed into the engine (to the same place where a
centrifugal supercharger would send its air). The roots would still be
driven by a belt. So, basically what you do is have an external supercharger,
the same as the centrifugal, but it happens to be a roots. You'd still
have to figure out how to lubricate the supercharger. Would something
like this work, or am I way out in la-la land?

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.