Re: Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 23:11:38 EDT

At 09:08 AM 6/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

> Thanks for the info! :) Is there another supercharger methodology which
>might be cheaper than a centrifugal, and easier to install than a roots?

        There are some other forms of superchargers but nothin' readily available
for the automotive market that I'm aware of. Anybody know of any?

> Couldn't the intake to the roots be re-routed somehow to blow the
>air into the same place that the centrifugal would? Or does a roots
>run off the camshaft or something, as opposed to the belt? (Or is my
>lack of supercharger knowledge showing through again?) ;)

        I don't *think* so. A roots blower installs, with its base, in place of
your intake manifold. I've seen some dual roots setups with 2 of 'em
tilted on there sides but never a "remote" mounting. They're belt driven
like the centrifugal types.

> What I always thought would be cool was a turbo or supercharger that
>could be turned off. A little switch in the cab would make it free-wheel,
>and not generate any power. Flip the switch on, the impeller starts back
>up, and you're in business! Still expensive, obviously, but you've got
>the "only there when you want it"ness of nitrous, and you don't have to
>keep refilling those bottles... If such a switch were a relatively cheap
>add on, I'd buy one. :)

        I've never seen one in person but I have read of them. Setup like the
clutch on yer A/C. Don't know how well they work. though. Someone with a
little more knowledge of Street Rodding could probably tell ya if these
actually worked.

  sean meldrum