Re: Brake Question

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 17:36:37 EDT

>My dealer tried to blame the warp on
>improper lug torque so I started
>torqing my lugs (95 lb/ft), but that did'nt
>help, 20,000 miles later they were warped again.

Someone - I'm not sure if it was the parts counter folks at
the dealer or the NAPA counterman, probably the latter - told
me that the CC rotors are made of cheap steel and are notorious
for warpage. Recommended the aftermarket replacements.

After going through two and a half sets of rotors, I think
they all warp - or maybe only one of the rotors is warped now
and the other is okay (I couldn't get two NAPA ones, which were
cheaper, but I needed the truck, and the dealer had stock).

I really ought to bolt them down tight and check the runout
while they're on the truck, under torque. If I had an old broken
wheel, I'd rig up a torque plate.

so in the meantime, I live with a lot of brake pulsing. I'm not
happy about that, but...

The other thing I've noticed is that the brake caliper actually
contacts the inside of the rim sometimes. I've checked the pins
the calipers slide on - straight, lubed, seem fine. Ditto the
caliper body. I ended up grinding off the casting flash from
the caliper bodies, and they're fine -- for now.

I wonder if Ford and Chevy owners have any problems like this?

Jim

Conservatives think liberals have bad ideas,
liberals feel conservatives are bad people. -- James B. Andrews, NOBAN