Re: Brake Question

From: Bruce Bexte (bruceb@direct.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 21:58:08 EDT

Alan Casey wrote:

> > Between the 3 vehicles that I've had in the last 7 years. The common
> > denominator here is the fact that both brake problems were on the passenger
> > side, both were Dakota 4x2 club cab automatics, and both happened around the
> > 2 year mark with approximately the same mileage - 22,000 on the '95 and
> > 30,000 km. approx. on the '93.
> >
> > Has anyone else had a similar problem?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Norah Kiraly
> > current: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 CC V6/3.9L/Auto
> > previous: '93 Dakota blue 4x2 CC V6/3.9L/Auto
> >

> Norah, I had the same thing happen on mine, 94'.
> I have the 5spd CC. At around 30,000 I started
> hearing brake squeal one morning on my way to
> work. I checked my pads by looking through the
> wheel spokes, they had 3/8 of an inch of pad left
> which should be fine. I drove it during lunch
> and it started getting worse, so I took it by the
> brake shop. Turns out the drivers side pads were
> fine, and the outside pad on the passenger side
> was fine, but the inside pad on the passenger
> side was gone. Of course it took the rotor with
> it. The guy at the brake shop said the book
> showed that the dakota used semi-metalic pads and
> that somehow the inside passenger pad evidently
> was not, that's why it wore out so much faster
> than the rest. I don't know if this is true or
> not, but it was an expensive lesson.
>
> Now, the metallic pads that Dodge recommends do
> last a long time, however they do warp the rotors
> in some cases, and at $90 a pop that's not good.
> The second time my rotors warped I took them to
> Napa and had them turned for $7 a piece, then I
> bought the cheap pads $18 compared to $90 for the
> recommended ones. The Napa rep said they will
> ware out twice as fast but at least it will save
> my rotors.
>
> My dealer tried to blame the warp on
> improper lug torque so I started
> torqing my lugs (95 lb/ft), but that did'nt
> help, 20,000 miles later they were warped again.
> Imagine that.
>
> Good luck
>
> Alan...

Hi Alan my brake problems have been many,but to get to the point Dodge has not been
knowen for having great brakes,my father has a 91 fifth ave. newyorker with about
400000 miles on it.On good thing about the fifth ave. is the crystal key warranty,seven
years bumper to bumper.Anyway four times now the car has had all four rotors and pads
 have been replaced.Our shop fourman says most of the cc. rotors a way to light for the
cars and trucks they put them in but no way are they going to admit a screw up of this
size.Just an added note about 90% of the miles my folks drive are highway.And you have
to remember no one can make brakes out of aspestos anymore this too will shorten the
lifespan of the pads.Part of the problem with carbon matalic pads heat up and turn into
powder.and wear out fairly fast.Bye for now Bruce