Re: Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 22:31:21 EDT

Sean Meldrum wrote:

> >I'm sure some exhaust shops could easily fabricate this pipe, and I'd
> >be willing to be it would increase power. In fact, the Y-pipe seems
> >to be the biggest bottleneck.
> >
> I don't think shops can touch anything in front of the converter unless its
> damaged or not functioning. On the other hand, the size of that pipe might
> qualify for "not funtioning". ;^)

Really? For my old car (here we go again) there was a shop that made
custom
Y-pipes (with cats in them). There was a 90-degree turn in the factory
Y-pipe
so the custom model gave 10-15hp gains. As far as I can remember there
was
nothing "illegal" about these pipes. Since they didn't mess with
factory
emissions I guess they were ok(?).

Of course, I could be wrong......

--