dakota lubing steering linkage

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 14:24:59 EDT

} From: carl.nybro@natinst.com
} Subject: Steering Linkage
}
} Does anyone else's steering linkage feel loose? Mine creaks when I come to a stop or hit
} some bumps in the road. I can actually feel some play and also feel it through the brake
} pedal. The service manual states the linkage should be lubed periodically. Where do you
} lube it and with what type grease? I thought there was a TSB on this at one time but
} couldn't find it.

No play in mine. Rack and pinion steering usually doesn't get play in the steering
box, so I'd guess something else is loose. Steering shaft U-joints or tie rod
ends?

The only place I can find to lube that could possibly be considered the "steering
linkage" is the tie rod ends, so that is what I've been lubing. The manual also
says to lube the ball joints, but not as often. They don't mention lubing "tie rod
ends" so I figure that is what they mean by "steering linkage". If I've been
missing something important that should be lubed please let me know.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD