Re: dakota lubing steering linkage

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 16:12:04 EDT

Rader wrote:

> > The only place I can find to lube that could possibly be considered the "steering
> > linkage" is the tie rod ends, so that is what I've been lubing. The manual also
> > says to lube the ball joints, but not as often.
>
> The '95 FSM details lube points for both the rack-and-pinion
> front ends (4x2), and standard pitman/idle arm/trailing link
> front ends (4x4). The only greaseable fittings for the r&p
> units are the tie rod ends, so you're covered.
>
> I lube the ball joints every time I do the tie rods; overkill,
> but since I'm under there anyway...

The maintainence schedule in my owner's manual says to lubricate the
"steering linkage" every 3000 miles (or every oil change).

However, it also says to change the oil every 3000 and the filter
every other change (every 6000). Imagine......

So, it may be overkill, but it never hurts to baby it.

Phil
'97 Dakota
'67 Charger