Re: 96 Headers and Computer

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 00:35:36 EDT

----------
> From: Jon Steiger <steiger@ait.fredonia.edu>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: 96 Headers and Computer
> Date: Tuesday, June 17, 1997 8:31 PM
>
> At 11:24 PM 6/17/97 -0400, Robinson wrote:
> >Has anyone tried the JBA shorty Stainless Steel headers? I e-mailed
them
> >and they claim 15-35 horsepower for my Dakota. How do you feel about
that?
> >Price is
> >$349 and going up to $ 499 in July.
> >

> Check to see wether that price includes everything you need. (To the
> cat?) If you need to get a Y pipe, that could add to the price
considerably.
> The Doug Thorleys can be had for $499 which (I think!) includes the Y
pipe,
                                          Yes ----------> ==============

> and everything you need to hook 'em up to your exaust. Does anyone know
> for sure? And if so, is enough pipe supplied to go all the way to
> the cat, or do the headers hook into the pipe that is already in front
> of the cat?

        Yes... and more yes.... The DT setup (at least for my '95) includes 5
pieces.
Driver side header, passenger side header, driver side cross over pipe
(which runs
from driver side header towards the passenger side, where the crimped pipe
is located
now), a Y pipe (which connects directly to the passenger side header, and
to the driver
side cross over pipe), then a collector that is pushed into the stock
exhaust running to
the CAT (and bolts up the the flange on the new Y pipe). All of the tubes
on the headers
are 1.5"-2" (did measure), then collect 4-1 into a 2.5" collector on each
side. Each pipe,
including the 'Y' are 2.5"... The stock heat riser tube on the passenger
side bolts right
into the headers (OEM style)... Fit and finish is great, and the header
flanges are about
1/4" thick!!! In addtion, one should take GREAT care in cleaning all of
the pipes with
alcohol (not beer!), to get all of the hand oils, etc. etc. off of the
pipes. The pipes do
'blue out', and hand prints will show up! After the pipes have blued out,
they look
pretty good, even though they are not a 'show chrome'.

        That's my experience...

        BTW Anyone with general knowledge of tools (and has jack stands,
a soft face hammer, and lock tight) can do this installation... The ONLY
tough
spot is removing the stock collector that runs to the CAT... It is held in
place by
a standard exhaust clamp, but mine was 'crimped'...So it took my 2.5 hours
of
mangling it to get it out...

        Sam '95 SLT