Re: TBI Fuel Filter Replacement

From: Robert F Weingart (rweingart@attmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 1997 - 11:23:54 EDT

<< i am needing to R&R the fuel filter on the '89. question is, do i
clamp the rubber line, flat, don't like that idea, to keep from fuel
free flow or may i get away with pulling the line, real quick inserting
a tapered round punch into the line end? would that hold with the fuel
pressure? what are your experiences with the fuel filter changeout?>>

Allen,
        I have changed the fuel filter 3 times in my Dak and it is very simple.
If you want to be proper, you can follow the service manual and relieve the
pressure. I have never done this and had no problems, if you do the
following. 1) Remove the gas cap to relieve any pressure to to air in the
tank. 2) Take off the hose clamps and slowly pull off one of the lines off the
filter. I usually just pull it enough to let the gas trickle out. Have a
large rag ready and a coffie can (and NO drop lights etc. around). The fuel
runs out for about 30 sec, but will stop. 3) You may want to spray the
mounting bolt for the filter with penetrant, since this bolt is fairly rusted
the first time you do this. 4) Replace the short rubber hoses with ONLY fuel
injection hose. Gates makes a hose that is for this purpose and it has
something like "EFI Fuel Line" on the side. Do not blindly trust your local
auto parts store, read it yourself. I had to drive to two places to find the
right stuff. One place did not even know that there was FI hose. If you
compare the FI hose to the non FI hose, you can see the extra cords laced in
the core of the hose. 5) Replace the hose clamps, don't be cheap. 6) Remember
to put the hose from the tank on the inlet of the filter.

        All of this takes about 20 minutes. The only tricky part is getting
the old hoses off the body lines (just slice them with a knife and peel).
Silicone helps to get the new ones on.

Rob Weingart '89 Dak LE 4x4 (175K mi)