Re: U-Haul turns into "Not-4-U-Haul"

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 1997 - 13:53:26 EDT

----------
> From: Scott Vieth <scottv@msn.fullfeed.com>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: U-Haul turns into "Not-4-U-Haul"
> Date: Sunday, June 22, 1997 1:30 AM
>
> All:
>
> I went to the local U-Haul shop in Madison (Wisconsin) to get things
ready for
> my big move to Detroit, Michigan. I asked the guy behind the counter for
> price quote on their "auto transport". It's a two axle trailer that you
can
> drive a vehicle onto for towing. In other words, a car trailer. It's
*not*
> one of those two-wheels dollies that let the rear wheels drag on the
ground.

> Anyway, the guy behind the counter asks what vehicle I'm planning to
haul. I
> proudly respond "1968 Camaro". He looked up the weight for the Camaro in
his
> little book. Then he asked what I was going to tow with. I responded
(with
> just as much pride as before), "1997 Dakota, V8, 5-speed, Club Cab, 4x4".
 He
> checked his little book and said "You can't do it. Your truck is too
small to
> pull that trailer."
>
> After I picked-up my jaw from the floor, I said "That can't be right. I
> ordered that truck to be prepped for towing from the factory."

        Been there, done that... The trailer supposedly weighs about 2000#
according
the last shmuck at U-haul that I spoke with. I am getting one next week to
haul my
Jeep to AZ. and back. I told them I had a Dakota, and was hauling a
rolling car
chassis (frame, wheels, and axle...that's it). Told them I couldn't use a
dolly because
the setup isn't registered, and the tires weren't really road worthy... I
figured the weight
to be about 1000# total...

        I'll be picking up the trailer this coming Friday...

        It works,

        Sam '95 SLT

        BTW: They told my friend the same thing a month ago when he went
        to move an old Lincon with his F250 Ford... The thing has a 12000# tow
        rating... The car weighs about 4500#, the trailer 2000#... They said his
        truck (in their book!) is only rated at 5000#..... Go figure.