Re; '98 R/T

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 18:47:43 EDT

John Neff wrote:

> John,
> Where did you get the info on the R/T not releasing until Spring '98? I
> just checked the Dodge web site and they still say fall '97. Of course
> they dont seem to update their page as often as I would like to see. I
> also checked with one of our local dealers here in Austin Tx. a couple
> of weeks ago and they said August or September. I have also been

Information like this is so sketchy at best that I wouldn't
be surprised if someone heard next week that Dodge will release
the truck early in August. With things like this you never
really know, and the truth probably is that dealers don't know
either.

In regards to the 360, I really don't see it as being the power
monger that everyone makes it out to be. Granted, it will have
some advantages over the 318, but I honestly don't think it's
better "hands down". I think it will make more of a difference
in a larger vehicle like the Jeep Cherokee or the Durango.

I am a member of a local MoPar club here in Houston, and I was
talking to several other members at our last Show-n-Shine about
the 318/360. Several people own Rams with the 318 and some
with the 360. They claim that the 360 is a little better suited
to towing, but doesn't provide a great deal more power. One fairly
knowlegable person claimed that he (driving a 318 Ram) and a buddy
(driving a 360 Ram) were towing cars to a show. They were on a
highway with a passing lane, and the guy with the 360 was in
back trying to pass the other one (with the 318) and he couldn't.
In other words, they were in a dead heat (both towing approximately
the same load).

Again, I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I just doubt it is
as big as some people may think.

cheers,
Phil
'97 Dak V8