Re: Continuing Transmission Troubles

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Jul 02 1997 - 12:01:43 EDT

----------
> From: Moise N. Solomon <msolomon@mail07.mitre.org>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Continuing Transmission Troubles
> Date: Wednesday, July 02, 1997 05:14 AM
>
> I have a '96 V8 5 speed 4x4 3.55 sure grip club cab with continuing
> transmission (drivetrain) problems. Currently I have 32,000 miles on the

> truck and need to either resolve these problems before the warrantee
expires
> or sell the truck. I would rather fix the problem since overall I am
quite
> happy with the truck.
>
> The dealer has been unable to repair the problem after several attempts,
and
> several weeks in the shop. The most recent attempt was last week where
they
> replaced the transmission for the second time. I received the truck back
with
> the same noises that they diagnosed wrong the first time. The dealer
said
> that the input shaft on the new transmission was noisy and should break
in for
> a few hundred miles and will decrease. This sounds ludicrous to me since
the
> same noises are not heard on a new truck. I have driven it about 300
miles
> with no decrease in the "input shaft noise".
>
> The noises include a clutch chatter (or whirring noise) in between
shifts, a
> bearing noise in neutral which decreases in intensity when the clutch is
> depressed, and (this is a hard one to describe) a loud drivetrain noise
at
> highway speeds that seems to emanate from the transmission/clutch area.
>
> The repair history is:
>
> 8,000 - replaced input shaft and throw-out bearings and other internal
> components.
> 20,000 - miles replaced transmission with factory new one
> 31,500 - miles replaced transmission with factory new one
>
> Anyone have any ideas? I suspect that the transmission failure is a
symptom
> of another problem that the dealer is unwilling or unable to diagnose.
Anyone
> have a similar problem?
>
> Moise Solomon

        Not sure if it's the same noise I had, but when my Dakota was new (123
miles)
I had a whining noise from the transmission in all gears... Gear noise,
similar to an old
school bus! I had the dealer check everything, and even test drove
another Dakota 5
speed. Same noise... The noise took about 5000-8000 miles to quiet
down... But the
trans. has never been touched (63500 miles currently)... Have you taken
the truck to
another dealer to be checked out??? The bearing noise you describe, I
have that
a little bit (but had it on other vehicles too...including my wife's '96
Corolla, so I assume
it's normal)... The drivetrain noise, I get a whining noise when cruising,
but not really
noticeable... My exhaust system/headers have taken most the noise away! :P

        Keep taking it back, until it's fixed (check with another dealer too!).

        Sam '95 SLT 5spd