Continuing Transmission Troubles

From: Moise N. Solomon (msolomon@mail07.mitre.org)
Date: Wed Jul 02 1997 - 08:14:06 EDT

I have a '96 V8 5 speed 4x4 3.55 sure grip club cab with continuing
transmission (drivetrain) problems. Currently I have 32,000 miles on the
truck and need to either resolve these problems before the warrantee expires
or sell the truck. I would rather fix the problem since overall I am quite
happy with the truck.

The dealer has been unable to repair the problem after several attempts, and
several weeks in the shop. The most recent attempt was last week where they
replaced the transmission for the second time. I received the truck back with
the same noises that they diagnosed wrong the first time. The dealer said
that the input shaft on the new transmission was noisy and should break in for
a few hundred miles and will decrease. This sounds ludicrous to me since the
same noises are not heard on a new truck. I have driven it about 300 miles
with no decrease in the "input shaft noise".

The noises include a clutch chatter (or whirring noise) in between shifts, a
bearing noise in neutral which decreases in intensity when the clutch is
depressed, and (this is a hard one to describe) a loud drivetrain noise at
highway speeds that seems to emanate from the transmission/clutch area.

The repair history is:

8,000 - replaced input shaft and throw-out bearings and other internal
components.
20,000 - miles replaced transmission with factory new one
31,500 - miles replaced transmission with factory new one

Anyone have any ideas? I suspect that the transmission failure is a symptom
of another problem that the dealer is unwilling or unable to diagnose. Anyone
have a similar problem?

Moise Solomon