Factory Limited-Slip Attn: Pat Buthmann

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 03 1997 - 07:57:29 EDT

Good Morning Pat, (and everyone else)

You are right, of course. All the printed material I have seen recently
from Chrysler refer to the Limited-Slip option as "Sure-Grip". My
1997 Dodge Dakota Book from the Dealer lists a "Sure-Grip" option.

"Sure-Grip" (and/or "anti-spin") has become a generic term for the
limited-slip option on most if not all Chrysler products. It is a marketing
term used because most of the buying public (for Chrysler) is familar
with this term and knows what it means.

The actual "Sure-Grip" case has not been in production since the middle
'80's. I believe it was made by Borg Warner, but I could be wrong.

The information I provided in my original post was for Dakota owners
with the 8 1/4 Rear Axle and "open case" who might want to purchase
the Limited-Slip for their truck. The information was correct.

At the Factory, the Limited-Slip case is purchased from Dana and
called "Track-Lock".

By the way, the "Track-Lock" case for the 1998 Dakota (with 8 1/4)
remains the same. So the '97 and '98 will be interchangeable.

If anyone wants or needs the part number for the 9 1/4 "Track-Lock" for
the 1998 Dakota or Drango, I can probably get it. Although, it is cheaper
to order in as an option on the vehicle than install it after delivery.

Hope this is all clear as mud.........

David R.
Sterling Heights