Re: Ticking sound while warming up

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 11:51:09 EDT

>Sam Parthemer wrote:
>>
>> ----------
>> > From: Michael Clark <mclark@wt.net>
>> > To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
>> > Subject: Ticking sound while warming up
>> > Date: Wednesday, July 02, 1997 03:10 PM
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have been noticing a strange ticking sound after I start my
>>truck and
>> > let it warm up. It is not rhythmic ie. lifters or injectors, it is
>> > sporatic like: tick.....tick..tick.........tick... well you get the
>> > idea. It seems to be in the exhaust somewhere [I'm not sure about that]
>> > above the cat or in the cat itself. But I can also hear it under the
>> > hood and under the truck. The sound is kinda like the sound you hear
>> > after you shut a car off and the motor cools and gives off the little
>> > clicks only these are just a bit louder than that. I've been noticing
>> > this for a few months now. Truck drives fine, idles fine, I just don't
>> > know what that ticking is and if I should worry about it. If anyone
>> > would like I could record a short wav file and post it on my home
>> > page....
>> >

>> Fuel pump by chance??? My '91 did that...then it eventually quit.
>>
>> Maybe a bad Timex watch on a bomb?? (JUST KIDDING)...
>>
>> Check your plug wires lately??? Maybe you have a spark that's
>> jumping through the jacket to ground...
>>
>> A few things to check...
>>
>> Sam '95 SLT
>Well I think maybe I've found what was causing the ticking sound. As I
>idled the truck the other day I looked carefully under the hood and
>noticed that when I would hear the clicking sound the automatic belt
>tensioner would flex. I held my finger on it and could feel the
>"clicks", felt like the spring inside the assembly was popping. Has
>anyone else had any problems with the belt tensioner? Could the spring
>need lubrication?
>--
>Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
> '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB
> auto, MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster
> http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/

I don't know about yours, but both my wife's Contour and my Dakota make the
popping sound, not only warming up, but cooling down also. I had a
mechanic say it was from the shield on the cat. converter flexing due to
the change in temperature ( kinda like putting a pan in a stove and it
flexes when it heats). It may be doing the same thing to the spring steel
in your tensioner. Remember how much metal changes size and shape when
you heat and cool it. (Thats how you install ring gears easier, you heat
it a little before hand and it slides right on).

Just my two cents........

Rob Robinson
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport
318-3.55