Re: tailgate areodynamics

From: baldwin@htonline.htonline.com
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 12:41:50 EDT

> From: "Jack Snodgrass" <dakota@cybermail.net>
> To: "Dakota Mailling List" <dakota@ait.fredonia.edu>
> Date: Mon, 07 Jul 97 15:26:51 -0600
> Subject: tailgate areodynamics

> I saw a picture in one of the sport truck magazines that showed a piece
> of metal in the bed of a truck that formed a 'wing' in the bed of the truck
> between the back of the wheel wells and the top of the tailgate. It
> mentioned getting 1 - 2 mpg increase in mileage.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has done something like this. I was also
> wondering if that 'wing' effect might provide some down force to the
> rear wheels that might effect traction/wheel spin. Thanks.

I talked to a guy at a show about this. He had a Mazda with a
302?(maybe a 305?) in it and he had a piece of sheet metal molded in
like you are descibing. He told me that the downforce pushing
against the sheetmetal and the added weight(it is reinforced by oak
planks) provide better tire grip with street tires and instead of
spinning them, he hears a "chirp" when he mashes the gas.

Denis