Re: Performance question: automatic -vs- manual

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 17:57:38 EDT

Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/

----------
> From: WillTier@aol.com
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: Performace question: automatic -vs- manual
> Date: Tuesday, July 08, 1997 01:02 PM

> << I have an extended cab and it probably ran about 16 or so stock. I
> never raced it before I had the flowmaster and MP SBEC, with these
> two mods my times were 15.7's. Since then I have added:
>
> SureGrip (limited slip) = 15.3's
> MSD & pulleys = 14.9's best 14.8 @ 91.6
> 1.7 Roller Rockers = no improvment still 14.9's
>
> I went to the Texas MotorPlex without my MSD (died week before) and
> ran 15.2's and one 15.1. I run on 235/70's Dunlop GT qualifiers and
> 3.21 rear gears.
> So as you can see Bill, the magic is in the check book. I'm sure with
> the same level of mods your truck would also break into the 14's. Of
> course with nitrous on board why bother. :) one shot of that and us
> 14 second Daks are sucking wind. :(

        I know we all talk about 1/4 mi times, etc... Has anyone
done an absolute speed with a Dakota??? I remember talks
before, but forgot what the outcome was. My 'best', and last test on
the tires I have is a mile is 27 seconds (running 4600 rpm)... Do
the math, and you'll see the mph (this was a measurement from the
mile markers and 10ths on my odometer). I backed it up with a
verification on the 'indicated' rpms...both are very close, so the actual
number should be +-2-3 mph from what I figure... Now, if I could do
that in the quarter mile!! :P

        I'd like to run my truck at the infamous Texas speed testing
facility (where Road and Track did the Viper, 911, etc.) That would
be a better run... (I only had a 5 mile run with a slight uphill at the
end...at a secret testing facility ..he he he)

        Oh the opposite end of performance, I did a trip from San Diego
to Flagstaff AZ. this weekend (following a 5th wheel we were moving
from Yuma AZ to Flagstaff...) I hauled the bricks, jacks etc, for the
5th wheel in the back of my pickup, and followed behind (48-55 mph max.)
the entire way. MPG=22.5... On the trip back with a windy drive
through Sedona, Prescott, and into Blythe I got 21.5 mpg running 60
mph on the cruise... Blythe to San Diego running with a LOT OF WIND,
and 70 mph my mileage dropped to 17.5 mpg... So far, all of the mod.s
I have done to my truck have not affected mpg at all (mainly went up).

        Sam '95 SLT