Re: Subwoofer Update

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 10:09:15 EDT

Michael Clark wrote:

> Andre Mauboussin wrote:
> >
> > Michael Clark wrote:
> > >

> > Andre
> What kind of subs you got in your reg. cab? I need to get a sub but
> haven't started looking very hard yet. What will fit behind the seat
> and what sounds good. I don't want to spend a truck load of money, I
> just need some reinforcement as far as the base goes.
> --
     After much auditioning, I chose the Kicker Solobaric 8" units and
had the audio shop build two .33 cubic ft. enclosures. The Kickers are
awesome but they ain't cheap! In the last two years, many of the other
major manufacturers have introduced special, small enclosure subs so go
check some out. The downside on this type of sub is that they aren't
very efficient(they normally need 100+ watts per channel continous)to
sound their best. Oh yeah, I had to remove the jack and its mounting tab
to get the passenger side sub in, so you will have to relocate it. I
have an Audio Art six channel amp powering my entire system(excellent
amps btw, very high end quality with great flexibility and less
expensive than other premium brands) and I recently bridged the rear
channels to the subs. Now they have over 100+ watts continous each
flowing through them and they will run me out of the truck(the little
solo barics will handle 300 watts+ continous and are just about
indestructible). To give you an idea on cost, my two subs with the
enclosures installed were around $600. If I had spent my stereo money on
performance products, my truck would be running 12s instead of 14.70s!
Have fun.

Andre