Re: Exhaust questions (again)

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Sun Jul 13 1997 - 05:12:23 EDT

James Bird wrote:

> So I ordered a Gibson, and am waiting anxiously for it. I do this because
> a want a good performance muffler with dual 2.5" pipes out to match the
> Doug Thorleys going on next week.
>
> Well I stop by the local muffler shop that might be doing the work, and he
> tells me that I am NUTS for putting a Gibson ($99) on if I am planning to
> install the DT headers and new MP chip (the year it comes out), and paying
> extra for all Mandrel bends. He said the ONLY way to go is a good
> Flowmaster. I explained that I have heard the 2 stage units and they are
> too loud for me. He tells me that Flowmaster makes a much better unit than
> the two stage and it's much quieter. He highly recommended that I let him
> install the Flowmaster of his choice ($140) and if I don't like it, he'll
> make it better until I'm happy.
>
> Now we are talking $145 for the muffler, and about $300 worth of pipe
> bending/welding, and mending. He'll be putting a 3" pipe coming from the
> Catalyst, and will re-install the O2 sensor in that 3" pipe, then running
> dual 2.5" out the passenger side.
>
> This shop is in Santa Rosa, about 1 mile from the Flowmaster headquarters.
> I guess he might know what he's doing. He even offered me to meet one of
> the guru's at Flowmaster and listen to his 318.
>
> I need some input! What do I do? Do I eat the ($95) and go with the
> Flowmaster? Do I install the Gibson??

> James Bird BirdJD@InternetMCI.com
> '97 Dakota CC, V8, 4x4, 5sp, loaded, 500w of serious sound.
Well first of all, I think the Gibson will be fine even with the DT's.
He's probably talking about the 3 chamber flowmaster. If its the 3
chamber, 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet then Summit racing has those for
$86.50 so [if this is the flowmaster model] his markup is $60.00 more
than what you could buy it for yourself. I don't mind a guy making money
but that's quite a markup. $300 for pipe work? If that is not mandrel
bends I'd go somewhere else fer sure. I had dual 2.5" pipes custom bent
and exit at both sides in the rear and I just paid $150.00, and that
included installing my muffler AND chrome tips. Mine is not mandrel
though, I don't know what that runs, but I figured dual 2.5" normal bent
pipe should flow at least as well as 3" mandrel. Heck, the price was so
attractive I didn't care. My system total was $210.00, thats shipping,
handleing, installation...everything so $445 sounds steep to me. You
will have to pay a little more because of the 2nd o2 sensor, but not
more than $10 or so...

Since you have already orderd the Gibson I'd go with it. With the
headers and chip it will be fine. I think this guy is just trying to
uld go listen to the guru's flowmaster
though, you might like it better than the gibson. I thought the
flowmasters would be too loud for my taste also, but after getting mine
(2 chamber) I'm glad I did. Starting off is a little loud, but once you
stop accelerating and maintane a constant speed you can barely hear it.
And when you crank it up in a parking lot people look to see where
you're at...

Good luck, I say go with Gibson since it's already on order. You can
check out my system on my homepage...

--

__________________________________________ | Michael Clark | | mike@snakebite.com | | '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB | |auto, MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster dual | |__________________________________________| | http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/ | | IRC nick: MarkIII | |__________________________________________|