Axle Ratio/'97 5.2 4x2: Attn: Mike Ging

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 21:48:52 EDT

Good Evening Mike,

The actual mileage difference between the 3.92 and 3.55 ratio will depend
on several things. Tire size, personal driving habits and weight are some.
There are several people on this list that have the 3.55 ratio. They can
probably tell you what to expect. I would think the mileage difference
would be 1 to 1 1/2 MPG as an average. I could be wrong. My Dakota
is rather heavy; '97 Club Cab 5.2 Automatic with most all the goodies.
Probably weights over 4,000 lbs. with me in it. The 3.92 ratio with
"SureGrip"
moves the beast smartly.

The installation of the Flowmaster (3" in/twin 2 1/2" out) and the "Meldrum
FIPK"
made a very noticeable difference that you can see and feel. Also improved
the idle. The mileage on my Dakota increased well over 1 MPG. There was
a power increase throughout the RPM range. I really don't know how to
estimate
the increase in horsepower and torque....but it is enough that you can really
feel it.
The tire & handling package gives you 235R70/15's. I upgraded to the Cooper
255R70/15. After two 600 mile checks, the speedometer and odometer is off
by 5%. Every 100 mile markers indicates 95 miles on the odometer. This has
been consistant since the tire change. Since I leased this Dak at 18k per
year, this isn't a bad deal (heh heh).
Since you are a "future Dakota owner", order your choice of axle ratio and
the
"SureGrip" from the factory. It is cheaper this way.

David R.
Sterling Heights