Re: 94 base timing

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 19:12:57 EDT

<< Could someone tell me what the base timing is for a 94 318 4x4 and how
 to setup for checking it (disconnecting vac hoses, etc.)? The FSM just
 says it's set at the factory and the computer takes care of it, but my
 sounds like it's pinging on acceleration and I wonder if it's out of the
 range of computer compensation. Could a bad knock sensor contribute to
 this and wouldn't that show up as a diagnostic code? >>

Boy oh boy becareful, this is rather complicated as I understand it. The
timing is controlled by the computer and not adjustable. The timing is not
adjusted by the distributor rather the distributor controls the injector
timing. I think that you may be able to accomplish something with a
Diagnostic computer but it is rather complicated. You can check to see what
the timing is with the computer but I do not know that you can change it.
There has been a lot of previous discussions on the knock or ping. Maybe a
archive search would help youi out but research carefully before attempting
anything. MSD makes a few items to alter the timing when using a MSD ignition
box.

My 2 cents
Bill