Re: Fuel gauge question...

From: Chris Ruggiers (ruggiers@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 12:10:18 EDT

Sam Parthemer wrote:

> My gas gauge flipped out this afternoon.. I was at about 3/4
> tank, then it flipped down to E, 1/4, and then bounced between
> 1/2 and 1/4... Checked the computer, no problems. It does it
> even with the engine turned off (but in the ON position, so it isn't
> vibration). Any clues??
>
> Sam '95 SLT Dakota
> http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/

   I read in a TAB on other mopars that there's a little variable
resistor, possibly on a wafer, on the tank sending unit that can burn
out at the top of its reach (at the "full" end), causing a loss of
signal from the sender. Seems like what I read indicated the part is
pretty cheap, but that it takes a little effort to drop the tank, remove
the sending unit, disassemble the sending unit, replace the part, and
reverse the process for assembly and replacement of the tank. My 91 LE
CC V8 is doing it right now. Might check the Dakota TABs, as I've
noticed a couple on "fuel gauge."

Chris
91 blk le cc non-magnum V8
FIPK (and wanting more!)