Re: The bad effects of Doug Thorleys...

From: mkarl@airmail.net
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 17:57:04 EDT

At 01:45 AM 7/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm holding off on the headers for a few days until I can get some more
>information. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that for a daily
>driver street automobile headers is a BAD idea. The reasons he stated
>were that the underhood temps climb so high that before long the wires,
>belts, and hoses and all other heat sensitive components start to break
>down.
I have DT headers for two years.Plug wires are a problem if you dont
route them in a manner to keep the from touching the headers.

  He said be prepared to replace the starter motor about every 6
>months because the stock heat shield will have to be removed and the
>starter will get cooked.
No starter problems.Still Have the heat shield in place.

  He said they will leak, rattle and that they
>are just a bad idea. He said for racing applications they are great but
>not for daily drivers.I only have one header bolt that needs to be tightened
about every six months.

>I think I'll still probably do the headers but I just want to look
>before I leap. Does the stock heat shields need to be removed? Are
>they connected to the manifolds or the truck? What about heat shielding
>material for the wires and hoses? What about header wraps, I think Sam
>mentioned one time that DT says not to wrap or coat their headers.
You can buy DTs that can be coated if you want.

You
>So has this guy got me paranoid or do the DT's put off that much heat?
>--

> | Michael Clark |
> | mike@snakebite.com |
> | '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB |
> |auto, MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster dual |
> |__________________________________________|
> | http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/ |
> | IRC nick: MarkIII |

                          Karl 92CC 5.2l 4X2 410 SG