Re: The bad effects of Doug Thorleys...

From: Dan Myers (waterfn@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 02:27:27 EDT

mkarl@airmail.net wrote:

> At 01:45 AM 7/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >I'm holding off on the headers for a few days until I can get some more
> >information. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that for a daily
> >driver street automobile headers is a BAD idea. The reasons he stated
> >were that the underhood temps climb so high that before long the wires,
> >belts, and hoses and all other heat sensitive components start to break
> >down.
> I have DT headers for two years.Plug wires are a problem if you dont
> route them in a manner to keep the from touching the headers.
>
> He said be prepared to replace the starter motor about every 6
> >months because the stock heat shield will have to be removed and the
> >starter will get cooked.
> No starter problems.Still Have the heat shield in place.
>
> He said they will leak, rattle and that they
> >are just a bad idea. He said for racing applications they are great but
> >not for daily drivers.I only have one header bolt that needs to be tightened
> about every six months.
> >
> >I think I'll still probably do the headers but I just want to look
> >before I leap. Does the stock heat shields need to be removed? Are
> >they connected to the manifolds or the truck? What about heat shielding
> >material for the wires and hoses? What about header wraps, I think Sam
> >mentioned one time that DT says not to wrap or coat their headers.
> You can buy DTs that can be coated if you want.
>
> You
> >So has this guy got me paranoid or do the DT's put off that much heat?
> >--

> > | Michael Clark |
> > | mike@snakebite.com |
> > | '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB |
> > |auto, MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster dual |
> > |__________________________________________|
> > | http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/ |
> > | IRC nick: MarkIII |
> > |__________________________________________|
> >

> Karl 92CC 5.2l 4X2 410 SG
> 4/5RT(stock cam)
> Electric Fans, Jacobs OMNIPAC
> B&M MEGA Shifter, Anti-sway bars
> CROWER 1.7 roller rockers
> mkarl@airmail.net
> 15.054@90.097
Michael, I've had DT's on my 92 since 92 90,000 miles on it never went
thru a starter yet and the first wires I replaced was when I installed a
Crane hi-6. I run a flowmaster with a cat converter and have run it
without,{sounds better with out but gas milege really sucks when you
lose that much back pressure} anyway never needed to retighten my
headers ether. You should go with them they are Qulity parts. Dan