Re: The bad effects of Doug Thorleys...

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 21:22:30 EDT

>I think I'll still probably do the headers but I just want to look
>before I leap. Does the stock heat shields need to be removed? Are
>they connected to the manifolds or the truck? What about heat shielding
>material for the wires and hoses? What about header wraps, I think Sam
>mentioned one time that DT says not to wrap or coat their headers.
>
>So has this guy got me paranoid or do the DT's put off that much heat?
>--

I ran full length headers on my daily driver Chevelle. He's right about
the wrap. Trashes the headers over time. *Really* works to cut down on
underhood heat but as Sam said, when moving that hot air will flush right
out of the engine bay. You could always invest in some heat shield
material from Thermo-tec if you're really worried about the starter. Check
Jeg's in the exhuast section.

Never had problems with leaks, rattles, or otherwise so long as you keep up
on the maintenance.
*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6A & Blaster 2 coil w/ chrome cover
****