FW: '96/'97 MP SBECs

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 17:11:00 EDT

Rich sez:

>I just spoke to MP to find out what's going on with the SBEC for '96's.
>He said it should be avail in Oct/Nov. I asked what happened to "early
>summer '97" as they told me last March. He said it's developed, but
>they're waiting for CARB approval.

Hey, who did you talk to at MP?? I spoke with Jim Bratten (at least I
think that was his name) when I was at the MP display at Carlisle, and he
told me that the SBECs for the '96 model Dakotas *ARE* CARB approved,
they're just waiting for some controllers from Motorola to come in and
they would be shipping to vendors by the end of the month... I talked
with him for quite some time, and he didn't seem to be trying to blow
smoke... I originally had planned to visit the booth anyway, but a guy
came over and was talking to me about *his* '96 Dakota, and he said he
had heard a rumour that the '96 SBECs were due out by the end of the
month... I think we should see something by September at the very
latest...

>I also asked when the '97's would be available. He said probably about
>the same time (yeah, right). But I forgot to ask WHAT YEAR!!

Not sure about the '97s but for you 97 owners, I hope you don't have to
wait as long as us '96 owners did!!

>Now I'm not sure if they will even have it BEFORE the next millennium!
>When Nov comes, I'll have been waiting 2 years for this (and I've
>already got my wife convinced how much I need this). Oh well, maybe
>we'll have some offerings from others soon (JET?).

I will definitely wait to get the MP chip as opposed to offerings from
Jet or Hypertech.. nothing personal, but MP makes good stuff. I will
have waited two years as of November as well, but if they come out, it'll
be worth the wait... If they DON'T come out with a '96 SBEC by the end of
the year, but do come out with one for the '97s, I'll have to think
about trading up!

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/Magnecor KV85 wires
Brass Cap&Rotor/Autolite Platinums/Blaster 3 Coil
MSD 6AL Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon! (NEXT WEEK!)
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/