Re: R-12 A/C '93 Dakota question

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 1997 - 13:44:13 EDT

> Basically, DO NOT(!) convert your R12 car to R134a or any of the
> R134a-based refrigerants (FRIGC comes to mind). They are far less
> efficient than R12 and R406A, GHG-X4, etc.

  True enough. I agree that it isn't the best alternative, though
I wouldn't have put it in caps. A real R134a system (like the one
that comes on the later Dakotas) compares very favorably to the old
R12 systems.

> Now let's compare that to using R406a or GHG-X4:

  So R406a and GHG-X4 (aka R414a) finally got SNAP approval for
mobile refrigeration? That's good to hear. I will definitely
retrofit my wife's Nissan when my can of R12 is gone.

  Understand that you will still have to convert your R12 fittings
and nitrile hoses to barrier hoses, if you go this route. But it
is a much more viable solution than R134a conversion.

> Daniel Stern "a T3 2.2, a 2.5, and 2 225s."
> Licensed s.609 Automotive A/C Technician

  Ah, so Daniel sent his $20 to MACS and took the take-home test,
too? Gee, I haven't been claiming my proper authority in my sig...

  Ron "Licensed S.609 Automotive A/C Technician" Rader