Re: Fuel gauge question...

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 1997 - 09:04:28 EDT

Sam Parthemer wrote:

> [wanna replace tank sending unit and fuel filter]
> dealer wants $150 labor (for both or one), plus $100 parts for both.... How
> difficult to do the work myself???

  Caveat: I haven't done this on my Dakota, but I have done this
on at least two other vehicles, one of which was my '84 S-10. I
imagine the operation is much the same, with the necessary exceptions
due to the Dakota's fuel injection system.

  I realize that others have suggested it is easier to lift the
bed, than to drop the tank, but the tank is one hell of a lot easier
for one person to manipulate. So I tend towards dropping the tank.

  Be forewarned that it is a big pain in the ass, but it really isn't
hard, per se. The main difficulty on the S-10 was pulling off the
fuel, vapor, and return hoses from the top of the tank. It was
possible once I put the rear end on jack stands to give me some
room to sit under the vehicle.

  Check your FSM. I am almost positive that it includes procedures
to drop the tank. The following is a brief overview:

  Depressurize the fuel system. Drain the tank as much as possible.
(I used a hand pump, after the tank was mostly empty). Disconnect
the wire harness and fuel lines (make sure you check to see which
lines go where before you start tugging). There should be a couple
of straps that hold the poly fuel tank to the frame. Support the
fuel tank with a piece of wood and a jack, or use your knee (the S-10
used a steel tank, I don't know how heavy the Dakota poly tank is).
Loosen the straps and lower the tank. I'm not sure what method
Chrysler uses to fasten the fuel pump assembly in the tank, but
I was able to disconnect the S-10 locking ring using a screwdriver,
mallet, and pliers, without destroying it. Change your parts.
Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

  The only reason I'm replying is because I've been thinking about
having to replace the in-tank fuel filter in my '95 for some time
now. And I'll be damned before I take it to the dealer for non-
warranty work.

  Ron