Re: R-12 A/C '93 Dakota question

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 19 1997 - 10:38:46 EDT

<< Now I have to ask YOU a question: Why are you converting to anything?
 R12 is still around, you know, and anyone who tells you otherwise is
 lying or ill-informed. There is plenty of it in the US. There is MORE
 than plenty of it in the US.

You must have stock in it. It is available for very very high cost. It can no
longer be manufactured in the US or legally imported. (it is second to drugs
in smuggling accross the Mexico border). What has been reclaimed is used and
the stock on hand at outrageous prices.

I have seen (and again this afternoon) change overs to r134A using a $40 kit
and haveing the system properly purged of the R12. They install a couple of
filters (or something) in the lines install new oil (easter Oil) and install
134A. I don't know of any complaints on insufficient cooling afterwards or of
any problems, just a hell of a lot cheaper. All this was gained from a
Snap-On seminar on the R134A switch over...
I know all these guys that have been hoarding the R12 and ripping people off
aren't real happy but too bad on the thieves part..

I will check back with my friend next week and see what else I can learn and
pass on to you. Any questions on this let me know and I will ask him..

Bill