up and down play in lower ball joints

From: william.manning@ns.sympatico.ca
Date: Sun Jul 20 1997 - 09:39:55 EDT

I drive a '95 3.9l Dakota 4wd and live in Nova Scotia, Canada. At my last vehicle
inspection the mechanic noticed the same 3/16" up-and-down play in both lower ball joints.
There was no lateral movement in the joints.

A Department of Transportation inspector happened to be there at the time. The mechanic
and the inspector agreed that it was within the limits of the safety check(1/4"). As the
truck had only 31000 kms(18600 miles) the inspector commented that the "wear" was
excessive for the distance driven.

The dealer, on inspection, said that the play was common and was within manufacturer's
specifications. He showed me his "spec" book which did not mention up-and-down play but
did say any lateral play required replacement.

I have visited local mechanics ... most are skeptical that there should be any play at
all ... some go so far as to replace the joints when play is found.

Bill
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)