Re: Rear Diff question

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 23 1997 - 14:21:33 EDT

> Yesterday I noticed a slight whine from my
>trucks rear diff., and confirmed it was that and not
>not a leak. He said this is a common sign of
>overheated bearings (and a looming failure). They
>I have the truck parked at home. The rear has
>never been opened up (which is what Dodge

How many miles Sam? You've never changed the diff lube?
Shame on you! I changed out the break-in lube at ~40K,
then switched to synthetic at ~60K. Probably due for
another change here at ~120K miles. Sure-Grip clutch
material doesn't make a good lubricant, so they need to
have the fluid changed out. I could see where the little
bits could deposit in the bearings...

When you talk to the guy, could you ask what a Torsen, or
Quaife differential would cost?

Good luck,

Jim