Re: Re: Andre's Response to Jules' lashing

From: SCOTT LEMSER (skipper@mailexcite.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 11:57:32 EDT

This post is a simple "FYI" I am not defending Jules, MPI or Andre.

In fact, I, as does Jules, would prefer that this type of discussion take place privately.

When Replacing the stock rocker arms with those of an increased ratio, all that is
being accomplished is an artificial increase in a cams mechanical lift. By doing
this, you increase the speed at which the engine can empty or fill the combustion
chamber by increasing the area of the path it follows around the valve. You also
decrease the mass of the valve train and reduce the friction if you use "Rollerized"
rocker arms.

All of this increase in volume and speed means nothing without proportion increases
in an engines intake and exhaust capabilities.

For example, If your tbi has a maximum flow of 500cfm, no amount of internal modifications
will improve this and realized gains will be minimal. The same theory applies to
the exhaust side as well.

Rocker arms are a very small piece of the puzzle in engine performance. I have been
off the list for quite some time now and have no idea what many of you have done
performance wise. Try increasing the flow capacity of your TBI and installing a complete,
"Tuned" exhaust system.

(Headers, larger tubes, and mufflers, Cat-back systems are designed as an improvement
over stock for unmodified applications, They cannot improve the overall flow capacity
as they do not effect the system before the cat.)

Performance is not cheap nor is it an exact science.

I am sure that once the additional mods are in place, those of you who are unhappy
with the gains you received from the rockers will be pleased with the results.

By the way, I have no desire to step on any toes but, My 6000 pound 4x4 has run in
the 14's

Scott Lemser

'95 v8, SLT / CC, 4X4, Auto, Headers, MSD 6AL, FIPK, Flowmaster, SBEC 3.55 S/G, 4"
Trailmaster Lift, Skidplate package ect.......

Free web-based e-mail, Forever, From anywhere!
http://www.mailexcite.com