Re: Vendor Conduct (was Andre's response)

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 13:16:05 EDT

SCOTT LEMSER wrote:

> This post is a simple "FYI" I am not defending Jules, MPI or Andre.
> In fact, I, as does Jules, would prefer that this type of discussion
> take place privately.
>
> When Replacing the stock rocker arms with those of an increased ratio,
> all that is
> being accomplished is an artificial increase in a cams mechanical
> lift. By doing
> this, you increase the speed at which the engine can empty or fill the
> combustion
> chamber by increasing the area of the path it follows around the
> valve. You also
> decrease the mass of the valve train and reduce the friction if you
> use "Rollerized"
> rocker arms.
> All of this increase in volume and speed means nothing without
> proportion increases
> in an engines intake and exhaust capabilities.
> For example, If your tbi has a maximum flow of 500cfm, no amount of
> internal modifications
> will improve this and realized gains will be minimal. The same theory
> applies to
> the exhaust side as well.
>
> Rocker arms are a very small piece of the puzzle in engine
> performance. I have been
> off the list for quite some time now and have no idea what many of you
> have done
> performance wise. Try increasing the flow capacity of your TBI and
> installing a complete,
> "Tuned" exhaust system.
> (Headers, larger tubes, and mufflers, Cat-back systems are designed as
> an improvement
> over stock for unmodified applications, They cannot improve the
> overall flow capacity
> as they do not effect the system before the cat.)
> Performance is not cheap nor is it an exact science.
> I am sure that once the additional mods are in place, those of you who
> are unhappy
> with the gains you received from the rockers will be pleased with the
> results.
>
> By the way, I have no desire to step on any toes but, My 6000 pound
> 4x4 has run in
> the 14's

  Sounds like you've got a good running machine! My point was not to get
into a technical argument, but to point out mine and my friend's
experience. You must understand that these people are the one's claiming
that Jules promised that this part is worth X amount of horsepower and
will work great for you. Well, Jules has their money and they gained
nothing. That's the way it is. More important to me was to relate the
rude, self righteous treatment I received. Personally, I can't see why
anyone on this list wouldn't want to know a fellow members experience
with a parts vendor. I personally am always glad to hear from other
members and learn from their experiences. Frankly, I feel that Jules'
last response was unforgiveable. Best wishes.