New Member

From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
Date: Sat Jul 26 1997 - 16:29:08 EDT

I would like to say hi to all members of this enthusiast list. I have owned
and raced MOPARS since the middle
eighties. Most of my experience has been around 13 sec 2.2 Turbo's (1/4
mile.... gentlemen). My first Dakota
was purchased in 93 and my third was in late 95'. I have a 96 Short box,
5.2L, auto, 3.90 SG axle and all the extras. Jules at Magnum performace has
been a great technical asset but the components are pricey. I have lost
track on how many professionals I have spoken with on performance tips for
the Dakota's. Everyone has their own opinion. Its up to the end user to try
these components and see if they work. I will tell you what I have found out.

1. The limiting factor is the intake. I here MP is working on a modified
version of the M1 for MPI.

2. The Magnum Performance Super Street TB improved Low end Throttle response
but did nothing for 1/4 mile
   performance.

3. Jacobs Ignitions (Super or Pro Street.. or something like that) slowed me
down almost 2 tenths. I lost to a Ford Lightning.

4. MP Exhaust only gave me 5 hundreths in the quarter mile.

5. Mopar R/T Camshaft has left numerous people dissatisfied.

6. Crower 1.7 Rockers increase the lift I think to around .512. These Really
WORK! but pricey....

7. I agree with another Gentlemen. No headers. To much money for an extra
tenth if you are lucky.

8. TRANSGO shift kit is a MUST! It is a pain to install (at least in mine).
It took three dissasemblies to get it right. You HAVE TO REMOVE the TAIL
SHAFT EXTENSION to replace the rear servo spring.

9. 1996 JTEC's (Performace Computers) are not yet availible. JET and
HYPERTECH will debute their computers for 92 - 95 models in September.

10.1998 Models will have an optional 5.9 liter and SO WILL MY 1996 ! No more
games with the 318. I have a very experienced Mopar Racer friend that has
done the swap very easily. The computer is availible for the 5.9.

So ...enough rambling..

1996 Dakota SB, Auto, 5.2L 3.90 SG, 3780lbs stock except pulleys and K&N FPK
  - 15.24 @ 89.3mph and 60 foot is 2.199 Temp was 60 degrees and humidity
was around 75%
       VERICOM VC-2000 0-60 was a best of 7.2sec
  - 9.65 @ 74.9mph (eighth mile) EXhaust mods, crower rockers, Magnum
Performance TB, Mopar Springs & retainers and lastly, 10.5 inch wide
TIRES. Have to run it in the 1/4. Can anyone translate this to 1/4 mile
estimates? I was told mid 14.8's. Temperature was 71 Degrees, Humidity was 85%.
       VERICOM VC-2000 0-60 was a best of 6.7sec. (35 foot loss of traction)
NO PERFORMANCE COMPUTER oh yeh 60 foot was 2.399 in the eighth.

What does this mean? Lets worry about hooking the tires first. Then play
with the motor.

I will run it soon with the new shift kit and MSD 6AL. I have used quick
disconnects to verify the performance changes, if any, of the MSD (like I
did with the Jacobs).

If anyone has anything that contradicts what I have researched, please
E-mail any Lets work together to kick
some Z-28 Ass.

Stan
dmagnum@mail.netside.com