Re: New Member

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 26 1997 - 22:12:59 EDT

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 16:29:08 -0400 (EDT), dmagnum@ccs.netside.com wrote:

>I would like to say hi to all members of this enthusiast list. I have owned
>and raced MOPARS since the middle
>eighties. Most of my experience has been around 13 sec 2.2 Turbo's (1/4

  Welcome to the list Stan! Based on your post, I'd say you'll fit right
in. :) I hope you find it helpful in your Z28 hunt. And once you start
bagging them regularly, hopefully you'll give the rest of us your
recipe. :)

[...]
>5. Mopar R/T Camshaft has left numerous people dissatisfied.
>

>6. Crower 1.7 Rockers increase the lift I think to around .512. These Really
>WORK! but pricey....

  See below...

[...]
>I will run it soon with the new shift kit and MSD 6AL. I have used quick
>disconnects to verify the performance changes, if any, of the MSD (like I
>did with the Jacobs).

  I'd be interested to hear your results. The MSD is one of the first mods
I'm planning. (Well, as soon as I can manage to find a job, of course.)
You know, priorities and all... :)

>If anyone has anything that contradicts what I have researched, please
>E-mail any Lets work together to kick
>some Z-28 Ass.

   Let me say first off that I have no firsthand experience of what I'm
about to say; you've got a lot more Dakota mod experience than I do. Also,
I'm basing this response on the assumption that you have the MP camshaft.
Based on things I've read on the list, I suspect that the rockers might
not have been the reason for your big performance jump. If you installed
the rockers with the stock cam, your performance jump might not have
been very great at all. My impression is that the rockers and the cam
work together very nicely but one without the other could be dissapointing.

   In that same vein, I think you might find that this would be true of
some of your other mods too. For example, replace the MP exhaust with
the stock unit, and you might find the performance drop to be more than
your initial increase on a basically stock truck. (Because all the other
mods sort of work together and build on each other for "more than the sum
of the parts".)

   Then again, I could really have a screw loose. Someone please tell me
if I do. :) I honestly have no experience with this stuff, only what
I read in magazines and of course, on this list.

  Once again, welcome to the list!!!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.