Reply to jon steiger

From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
Date: Sun Jul 27 1997 - 00:12:51 EDT

At 10:12 PM 7/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 16:29:08 -0400 (EDT), dmagnum@ccs.netside.com wrote:

Jon Steiger, you wrote....

>I'm planning. (Well, as soon as I can manage to find a job, of course.)
>You know, priorities and all... :)
>

>>If anyone has anything that contradicts what I have researched, please
>>E-mail any Lets work together to kick
>>some Z-28 Ass.
>>

> Let me say first off that I have no firsthand experience of what I'm
>about to say; you've got a lot more Dakota mod experience than I do. Also,
>I'm basing this response on the assumption that you have the MP camshaft.
>Based on things I've read on the list, I suspect that the rockers might
>not have been the reason for your big performance jump. If you installed
>the rockers with the stock cam, your performance jump might not have
>been very great at all. My impression is that the rockers and the cam
>work together very nicely but one without the other could be dissapointing.
>
> In that same vein, I think you might find that this would be true of
>some of your other mods too. For example, replace the MP exhaust with
>the stock unit, and you might find the performance drop to be more than
>your initial increase on a basically stock truck. (Because all the other
>mods sort of work together and build on each other for "more than the sum
>of the parts".)
>
> Then again, I could really have a screw loose. Someone please tell me
>if I do. :) I honestly have no experience with this stuff, only what
>I read in magazines and of course, on this list.
>
> Once again, welcome to the list!!!

Jon... you are absolutely right about one mod complimenting another. I have
spent almost a
year on the phone and reading mags on performance tips for these trucks.
Then I began to
try the mods that made the most sense. I am by no means an expert. I can say
I have done
alot of deductive reasoning. I have never used the MP R/T Cam. Why do you
ask...the specs
on the cam were not much better than stock. Little more duration. Since the
induction of the
Magnum motor is designed for lets say around 5000 tops, why not let the
motor work more within
that range. More lift was the way to go. Well, and alot less work helped
to...(Rockers). Also,
the MP catback exhaust, in my opinion, was not the limiting factor to
improve breathing beyond
4200rpm. It was definetly the reduced size y-pipe on the 94 and up 5.2
Dakota's. Then I used
the Gibson exhaust. This reduced HP fall off above 4200 and improved 0-60'
by almost 2 tenths.
I told this to Jules at Magnum Performance. This Is what I was most
dissappointed about. Then I
installed my rockers. I HAVE CONFIRMED that this setup works on my VERICOM
VC-2000 ! Zero to
Sixty improved by a minimum of 5 TENTHS ! I do not have a Performance JTEC.
I had people tell
me I was wrong to do what I did. I didn't listen to them but followed my
instincts. Don't always
follow what you read in mags. People are paid to write opinions that meet
the needs of the
manufacturer of the performance parts. They Say the cam pulls hard to
6000RPM. I don't believe
it with the posted duration specs. I could be wrong....but my combination
really worked. I took
my truck to have the tranny looked at before I installed the shift kit. I
had the Service manager
compliment me on the performance....I quote...mannn that truck goes. Jules
is a Pro. Listen....really
listen to what he says. Then think and do what will work best for you. Don't
spend your money on
an ignition system unless you supercharge or gas it. These ignitions in my
opinion are ment to
 significantly improve performance on older point and electronic systems.
Lets safely say less than
60 % efficient. The modern stuff appoaches 80%. I got my msd for free..So
I'll try it.

Talk to you soon
Stan
dmagnum@mail.netside.com