Re: Reply to jon steiger

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 27 1997 - 00:28:57 EDT

At 12:12 AM 7/27/97 -0400, dmagnum@ccs.netside.com wrote:
>At 10:12 PM 7/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
[...]
>> Then again, I could really have a screw loose. Someone please tell me
>>if I do. :) I honestly have no experience with this stuff, only what
>>I read in magazines and of course, on this list.
>>
>> Once again, welcome to the list!!!
>>

>Jon... you are absolutely right about one mod complimenting another. I have
>spent almost a

  Thats good to hear. :)

>year on the phone and reading mags on performance tips for these trucks.
>Then I began to
>try the mods that made the most sense. I am by no means an expert. I can say
>I have done
>alot of deductive reasoning. I have never used the MP R/T Cam. Why do you
>ask...the specs

  I just assumed you did since you mentioned that people have been
dissapointed by the cam; I figured you were one of the dissapointed folks. :)

[...]
> Don't
>spend your money on
>an ignition system unless you supercharge or gas it. These ignitions in my

   What do you mean by "gas it"? Nitrous?

>opinion are ment to
> significantly improve performance on older point and electronic systems.
>Lets safely say less than
>60 % efficient. The modern stuff appoaches 80%. I got my msd for free..So
>I'll try it.

   Yeah, I don't expect a huge performance increase or anything (I don't
really even expect a noticable performance increase.) My main reasons
(which may be flawed, I dunno...) for wanting an MSD (also a Blaster 3,
cap, rotor, and better wires) is for smoother starting, better gas mileage,
probably a little more power, and possibly better throttle response.
  Also, as I start adding more go-fast goodies, and especially the MP
computer, I wouldn't mind the extra spark to help prevent detonation,
knocking, etc.

   I was planning on getting the Gibson exhaust, rear anti-sway bar,
MPI FIPK clone, and ignition somewhere near the start. Followed immediately
by an MPI SS TBI (Wether I'd get the $350 or the $500 version, I dunno. I
wish I had more info as to the performance increase the two $75 upgrades
give you...) Speaking of the TBI, when you get the SS TBI and add the two
$75 upgrades, its called the "Mystery shaft". Is it just me, or does
anyone else think a name change might be in order? ;) Just kidding,
Jules... I'm sure you actually do get some increases, but the name just
sort of made me do a little double take. :)

>Talk to you soon
>Stan
>dmagnum@mail.netside.com

                                              -Jon-

  .--- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.