Re: MPI Converter

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 27 1997 - 18:06:06 EDT

<< what i wanna know, since the 44re tranny is pretty much the same as the
 a-500 and a-518, will an aftermarket stall converter fit it in my '97
 dakota??. it needs it badly!!!!i want some 60' times under 2 seconds and a
 ..3 reduction in my 1/4 mile time damnit! >>

Don't know but I have not really sure I have seen any for a lockup converter.
MP has some for the A518 without lock up. I heard you have to change the
front pump or something to use a non-lockup converter. I think the 44E is a
electronic version of the A518. The A518 is a modified 727 from what I have
heard, I am still trying to verify that, if it is true then I may get a
beefed up 727 ($600 +/-) and a 727 Torque converter fairly cheap also and
pack the 518 away. I think you would have to have a new drive shaft built and
maybe maybe a different mount? but you would have no OD. That would not
bother me to much as I run without OD at the drags now and with NOS at 103+
in the 1/4 I'm turning about 5200 so I would have room for improvement. Just
a thought as the OD is a weak point in the A518.

Bill