Re: FABM Attn: Sean Meldrum

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jul 27 1997 - 18:13:40 EDT

At 04:13 PM 7/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey Sean:
>
>I was just out looking under the hood of my Shelby and found a lot of hoses
>that come off w/ the stock air cleaner. One goes to the valve cover, which
>you said I didn't have to worry about because the Eldebrock had an outlet
>for one, The air cleaner has a plastic branch that goes into the computer,
>and another silverish one that goes down to the exhaust manifold, and I got
>3 small hoses coming from under the air cleaner. 2 exit from under the air
>cleaner and go to the top into pieces connected to the aircleaner w/ a
>rivet, and one goes to the TB, they all come from underneath the
>aircleaner.
>
>Any suggestions on what I should do would be great. I got all of the p/n's
>from your sight. Would it be all right to go with a 3" filter, or is there
>a reason you didn't pick the 3" K&N filter.
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Scott

Hmmmm.....lot a hoses ya got there. ;^) Ok, the branch that goes to the
computer should probably remain connected. Not sure but probably. The
silver is for cold morning starts and just delivers warm air to your intake
flow. You could lose that depending on your part of the nation. The two
hoses that just loop back to the air cleaner could go. The one to the
throttle body might need to stay. Not up on the older Daks and yours being
a Shelby puts it in a league all its own.

I *think* there was an extra knockout on the base of the 1208 air cleaner.
PAW sells a universal smog tube fitting p/n CHR-19535 that would give you
an extra connection point. But you have TWO extras. Does anyone who knows
a bit more about Scott's Shelby know exactly what the extra lines are for?

You could try and unplug the line to the throttle body, cap it to prevent
vacuum leaks, and try driving it. I wish I could help more but I have to
claim ignorance on the older models and their emissions equipment.

As for the 3".......you've probably got room. You've probably got room for
a 14" diameter if you want to. When I took my initial measurements, the
2.25" I used cleared the hood and pad but still gave me some increase in
filter surface area. I can actually fit a 3" but it'll hit the pad.

Can anyone else answer the hose questions?
*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
"Pilone Throttle Body"
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6A & Blaster 2 coil w/ chrome cover
Pioneer DEH-435 CD Receiver
****