Re: Foglamps

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 13:39:43 EDT

>Question: How can you disable the foglamp cutout circuit when you use your
>highbeams? (the foglamps turn off when you use your highbeams). I would
>like to be able to use both at the same time. Is there a relay or circuit I
>can disable to prevent this?
>
>Thanks!

I guess the first question to be asked is why you want to run fog lights
with high beams? They are meant to be used to pierce under fog where
high beams do nothing but reflect back in your face. If you are looking
for lights that will be productive with high beams, look for a nice set of
driving lights and wire them for high beams only (relay).

If you are bound and determained to run your fog lights with high beam, you
need to find your relay where your fog lights are located. They are set up
so when a signal comes from low beam (a wire to this relay), it activates
the relay that allows power to go to the fog lights. When high beams come
on, low beams go off and the signal quits thus causing the relay to stop
the flow of current to the fog lamps.

I have seen an aftermarket accessory (I can't remember where) that you plug
between your headlight and the harness that causes the low beams to burn
when high beams are on. This would also cause your fog lights to remain on
also. I would look in maybe some of your local parts store cataloges. I
even believe Sears catalog had a similar device. The problem being that
some states may not approve such devices.

My final request is that you do not run any type of driving lights with low
beams. Due to their intensity and design for long range lighting, they are
illegal to have on with low beams and VERY BLINDING to on coming traffic.
Do it right and install a relay that allows them to come on ONLY with high
beams.

REVIEW:

Fog lights-low beam only. Short wide beam made to shine under fog and
show up road.

Driving lights- high beam only. Intense high long range beam made for
enhancing high beam driving.

Hope this has helped!!! :-)

Rob Robinson
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport-RED
"Magnum Force" stripe kit
 Short Bed Standard Cab
318-3.55
"Air by Meldrum"-(14" chrome air cleaner 3" K&N Element)
Rhino muffler-dual exit
9.9 @ 72mph 1/8 mile
Secretary-Crystal Coast Mopar Club
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback