Re: Street Tires

From: SCOTT LEMSER (skipper@mailexcite.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 1997 - 17:47:23 EDT

Scott Wrote;

>Has anyone found a set of good tires for drag racing and at the same time

>work good on the street and O.K. in the rain. I want something that is

>going to heat up like slicks, but be O.K. to drive on the street.

>Any info or suggestions please let me know

>Scott

>I spent many years selling tires at SuperShops and NTW (now NTB) as well as most
of my youth at the Dragstip / Ovaltrack and can say without a doubt that you will
not find any street tire that will perform like a slick. There are those that will
perform better than others, but usually at the expense of some other characteristic.

I have heard many good things about the BFG drag tire, but I will go as far to say
that if they hook as well as claimed, they are probably worthless in the rain and
wear like crazy.

Another good choice in a Radial would be the Dunlop G/T qualifier.

A third choice would be the Mickey Thompson Sportsman or Sportsman "I" or McCreary's
Street tire.

The choice is yours. How much are you willing to sacrifice for straight line performance.

Might I suggest you pick up a set of slicks and some steel wheels and change 'em
out when you go to the track.

Good Luck,

Scott Lemser

Free web-based e-mail, Forever, From anywhere!
http://www.mailexcite.com