ABS for '98- any new feedback? (fwd)

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 17:19:31 EDT

} I've read some great info in the archives regarding the 4 wheel ABS, but
} still have a few questions... Has anyone driven a Dak with the 4 wheel
} ABS as well as the rear wheel only for comparison? Is stopping distance
} shorter with one or the other? Do you have more stopping power/control
} (i'm gonna be towing) with the 4 wheel?

Stopping distance in a straight line, on good clean dry pavement, with
no trailer, will be better with rear wheel only ABS. Under most other
conditions I'd expect the 4 wheel ABS to perform better. I've been very
impressed by how the 4 wheel ABS works, and I've activated the ABS under
a variety of conditions (some on purpose, some not). It's especially
nice when towing a heavy trailer or when trying to turn, or in the rain.
It saved one dumb woman from serious injury when she walked in front of
my truck on a rainy day. I've also had it clattering away coming down a
mountain in gooey mud. I wasn't slowing down very fast, but control was
excellent. It can lengthen stopping distance under certian specific
conditions, but I think it's worth the tradeoff. If you hit a bump or
paint stripe under heavy braking it will momentarily release braking,
and it takes longer to regain heavy braking than if the wheel had just
momentarily been allowed to skid.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD