Re: Questions From A Newbie

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 18:39:28 EDT

Huh? Running with 3.90 gears, and 5 speed I have been able to tow
much better than with an automatic. One thing that comes to mind is
the auto's downshifting / up shifting a lot on grades because it didn't
have a 'middle' gear to settle into. 2nd was too short, Drive was too
tall.
With my 5spd it RARELY gets into 3rd gear... When it does, 3rd
seems just right... Then 4th is used for most all hills (with 5th
available on flat level roads at speeds higher than 65 mph...)

With an auto you have a transcooler mounted in front of the radiator,
putting heat into the radiator. With a 5spd, you don't have/need a
cooler... So the extra heat is not put into the truck.

Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/