Re: ABS for '98- any new feedback? (fwd)

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 19:26:33 EDT

I'll second Frank Ball's comments. I've driven other trucks (Ferds, if
you must know) with rear-only ABS. They act just the same as regular
brakes, except that in a panic stop the rear end doesn't come around
to visit the front. You can still lock up the front, and therefore
you can still lose directional control.

The four-wheel ABS on the Dak is great off-road for those limit-of-adhesion
steep decents where the conventional approach is to gear all the way down
and STAY OFF THE BRAKES. With ABS, you can be stupid and lazy and just
ride the brakes down (Don't pump them!). Still helps to gear down. You
actually have better directional control than with no brakes at all though,
since the ABS works better than the differential at controlling wheel
motion. In short, it is (almost) magic.

Jim