Towing

From: States18@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 20:13:34 EDT

<<Towing with the 5 speed is 100% better>>

I couldn't agree more. The only disadvantage of towing with a manual is that
it puts excessive wear on the clutch. I have towed quite a few trailers and
other loads behind my 92 with a 3.9 and a 5 speed. One of the things that I
bought a 5 speed for was towing. The only thing that I tow regularly is my
2000lb(boat motor and trailer) ski boat. My truck pulls it well. I would
like to have electric brakes on the trailer. It is at that borderline weight
for brakes. The engine braking of the 5 speed helps tremendously on those
downhills where I hate to ride my brakes. I know that you can gear down in
an auto, but it is much easier to slip a manual into a lower gear. I also
like having a manual while I am pulling up the launch ramp. You can control
power so much better with the manual. Just my $.02

Yes, I have towed with both.

I am curious to see why some of you guys like the auto better for towing.

Dave