Re: Questions From A Newbie

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 20:59:29 EDT

<< Huh? Running with 3.90 gears, and 5 speed I have been able to tow
 much better than with an automatic. One thing that comes to mind is
 the auto's downshifting / up shifting a lot on grades because it didn't
 have a 'middle' gear to settle into. 2nd was too short, Drive was too
 tall. >>

I do not use OD when towing unless all down hill. I have not had a shift back
and forth problem with this truck towing or not towing. I can pull hills in
OD around here that 5 speed guys can't even come close to. We have one hill
on a main route near me that is about 1 mile long and with curves (one 40
MPH) I can hit the bottom 55 to 65 and pull the whole hill without shifting
down ,with a nice even throttle. I've had guys with 5 speeds can not get up
this hill without shifting not even close.

All I can go by is my own experiences, My truck is the heavy duty (2000 #
load) and with tow package and have had no problems towing 5900 # trailer
(empty weight). Now when a damn 18 wheeler comes tooling by at 80 from behind
it wollers the thing around and I would not take off for Florida with it but
power wise no problem and no heating up. The other thing I like about the
auto is when backing the thing into a tight spot or up on the blocks, much
easier than farting around slipping the clutch.

Hey what ever works for you but you couldn't give me a 5 Speed to haul what I
haul.

Bill