Re: ABS for '98- any new feedback?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 09:23:00 EDT

> As far as towing the ABS (4 wheel) is very nice. I'm not sure so much
> about the less distance for a stop

  ABS isn't a magical device. The coefficient of friction between
rubber and road doesn't change just because a robot pulses your
calipers for you. The great thing about ABS is that the brake pedal
basically becomes like the accelerator; ya want more brake ya push the
pedal harder. No thought necessary, as is needed during threshold
braking and the like.

  Some of the funniest (saddest?) sights I've seen during winter
are experienced watching goobers with ABS on the snow, who started
depending on ABS in the rain, and now think it's going to stop their
bratcages/minivans or overgrown station wagons/SUVs on black ice.

> but it was nice to have the piece of
> mind that you can still steer with minimum thought in the emergency
> stopping scenario.

  Retaining steering control is probably the best thing about ABS.
But I still didn't spring for the 4-wheel ABS on my '95.

  Ron