Re: 92 Dakota oil consumption

From: Chris Ruggiers (ruggiers@telepath.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 13:12:12 EDT

sdsherer@worldaccessnet.com wrote:

> Recently bought a 92 Dakota 4x4, 5.2 auto, 60K miles. Runs real well,
> but oil consumption
> seems to be excessive (about a quart for 500-600 miles). I hope
> that's not normal
> for this vehicle. Any thoughts out there?
>
> Steve S.

I've got a 91 LE CC 318 non-magnum auto that has (1) never had anything
but Quaker State put in it (every 4k-6k miles) and (2) never consumed
any measurable quantity from oil change to oil change in 115k miles.
Cause of oil usage? PCV? Valve guides? Perish the thought: rings?
front/rear bearings? What do the plugs look like? Fouled? Visible
leaks? Tail pipe residue? Have you checked compression? My experience
says 318 V8 is not normally an oiler.

Chris