Re: Bear with me here guys.....

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 1997 - 11:46:30 EDT

----------
> From: Michael Clark <mclark@wt.net>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Bear with me here guys.....
> Date: Thursday, August 14, 1997 08:07 PM
>
> I'll be starting on the headers tommorrow or Saturday but I have a few
> questions... Keep in mind I've never done anything like this before and
> I'm not a real "gear head"....
>
> In the instructions it states to use some hi-temp silicone sealer on the
> exhaust gaskets. I picked up some Permatex Ultra Copper Gasket Maker,
> is this what I need. The directions indicate that this stuff makes a
> gasket by itself, do I need something else like Gasket Sealer instead of
> Gasket Maker or is it the same thing? Also do I put it on the gaskets
> or on the metal surfaces where the gaskets seal?

        That part I don't remember. My friend did the 'easy' part, and I was
pounding away from the bottom (see question below).

> Second question, Sam or someone with DT's can help with maybe... The
> headers come with the bolts, flat washers, and star washers. Is there a
> particular order to put the washers like starwasher under the bolt head,
> and flatwasher under the nut? Or vice-versa? The directions don't say.

        On mine we did the flat washers first, then the star washers on
top. They worked like a lock washer.

> Third question is do I need a clamp or anything where the crossover pipe
> slips into the passenger side y-pipe? Again the instructions don't say
> anything about that, but it's kinda a loose fit and its bound to
> leak....

        Supposedly heres the scoop from DT: It is a slip joint, and when the
pipes heat up they will expand, and seal. I drove it home (55 miles) the
night
we did the install, and the darn thing leaked all the way home (sounded
like a
exhaust leak on a straight-6 mustang!). I bought a clamp, and clamped it
on
lightly (not the crush the pipe), and cut off the extra length of bolt that
hangs
down (as this is now the lowest part of the truck). The leak stopped.

> What is the best way to remove the carbon deposits off the heads where
> the stock manifolds used to be? The directions say left over carbon
> deposits cause most eshaust leaks....

        We used a putty K-nife.... and lightly scraped the surface (so we
wouldn't nick it). A little brake cleaner helped.

> Thanks guys...
> --
> Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
> '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto
> MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat-back dual
> Doug Thorley Headers (on order)
> http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/

Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/